Social Marketing / Health Communication / Health Education / Health Behavior Change / Health Promotion and Disease Prevention / Social and Preventive Medicine / Behavioral Medicine / Planetary Health / Human health / Public Health
The BeCHANGE Research Group conducts research to understand determinants of behaviors and strategies to change behavior, focusing on communication. The primary focus of our work is on health-related behaviors and behaviors that intersect and affect health, environment, and sustainability. Led by Professor L. Suzanne Suggs (Full Professor of Social Marketing), BeCHANGE is part of two institutes at the Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano Switzerland): the Institute of Public Communication and the Institute of Public Health.
The BeCHANGE team
Prof. Dr. L. Suzanne Suggs, PhD, MSc, CHES
Profesor of Social Marketing
Dr. Natalie Rangelov, PhD, MA
Lucía Aguirre Sanchez, MSc
Maximilian Witz, MSc
Nathlay Aya Pastrana, PhD
Camilla Speranza, MSc
Research Assistant & Project manager
Some of our Projects
Games 4 Health
Some of our recent publications
Speeches / Editorials, Reports, Book chapters / Peer-reviewed
Speeches & Keynotes:
- Swiss Public Health Conference, Neuchatel, CH (7 November 2018). “Making healthy options easier options“.
- USI Commencement ceremony (7 November 2017). “Looks like you made it!“
- European Health Literacy Conference, Brussels, BE. (18 November 2015). “Challenges and opportunities in communicating Complex Health Messages“.
World Innovation Summit for Health, Doha Qatar. (18 February 2015). “WISH 2015_CommunicatingComplexHealthMessages“
- World Economic Forum, Davos, CH. (24 January 2014). “The Great and Powerful i: Communication Technology in Global Health”.
Book Chapters, Commentaries, Editorials, & Reports:
- Fadda, M., Albanese, E. & Suggs, L.S. When a COVID-19 vaccine is ready, will we all be ready for it?. Int J Public Health (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-020-01404-4
- Bender, N., Marques-Vida, P., Patriota. P., Rangelov, N., Staub, K., Suggs, L.S., van der Horst, K., (2020 forthcoming). Children’s Dietary Assessment and Promotion: The Swiss Situation. International Journal of Public Health. DOI: 10.1007/s00038-020-01393-4
- Aya Pastrana, N., Miranda, JM. Beran, D., and Suggs, L.S. (2020 Forthcoming). Social marketing for neglected tropical diseases: A systematic review. PlosNTDs.
- Lazo-Porras M, Perez-Leon S, Cardenas MK, Pesantes MA, Miranda JJ, Suggs LS, Chappuis F, Perel P, Beran D. (2020). Lessons learned about co-creation: developing a complex intervention in rural Peru. Glob Health Action. 13(1):1754016. doi: 10.1080/16549716.2020.1754016. PMID: 32406330.
- Beran, D.; Chappuis, F.; Damasceno, A.; Jha, N; Pesantes, M.A.; Singh, S.B.; Somerville, C.; Suggs, L.S.; Miranda, J.J. (2019). High-quality health systems: time for a revolution in research and research funding. The Lancet Global Health, Volume 7, Issue 3, e303 – e304. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(18)30529-1
- Künzli, N., Puhan, M.A. & Suggs, L.S. (2019). “Will the Swiss pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai damage your health?” Int J Public Health. 64:1125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-019-01286-1
- Thomson, A. Vallée-Tourangeau, G., & Suggs, L.S. (2018). Strategies to increase vaccine acceptance and uptake: From behavioral insights to context-specific, culturally-appropriate, evidence-based communications and interventions. Vaccine. Volume 36, Issue 44, 6457-6458.
- World Health Organization BeHealthy BeMobile (lead authors: Pfaeffli Dale, L. and Suggs L.S.) (2018). “Be He@lthy, Be Mobile: A Handbook on how to implement mAgeing.” World Health Organization and International Telecommunication Union.
- Bardus, M.; Domegan, C.; Mikkelsen, B.; and Suggs, L.S. (2019). “Engaging students and communities through service learning and community-academia partnerships: Lessons from the field of social marketing education,” Chapter in: “Evaluating the Gaps and Intersections Between Marketing Education and the Marketing Profession.” IGI Global. 10.4018/978-1-5225-6295-5
- Aya Pastrana N, Miranda JJ, Somerville C, Beran D, and Suggs, L.S. (2017). Social marketing interventions for neglected tropical diseases (NTDs): A systematic review protocol. PeerJ Preprints5:e3350v1 https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.3350v1
- Beran, D., Chappuis, F., Cattacin, S., Damasceno, A., Jha, N., Somerville, C., Suggs, L.S., and Miranda, J.J. (2016). The need to focus on primary health care for chronic diseases. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. http://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30148-6
- Suggs, L.S., McIntyre, C., Warburton, W., Henderson, S., and Howitt, P. (2015). Communicating Health Messages: A Framework to Increase the Effectiveness of Health Communication Globally. Report of the WISH Communicating Complex Health Messages Forum 2015. http://dpnfts5nbrdps.cloudfront.net/app/media/download/1426
- Suggs, L.S., Rangelov, N., Schmeil, A., Occa, A., Bardus, B., Radchuk, O., and Dianat, S. (2015). E-Health Services. In: The International Encyclopedia of Digital Communication and Society. Wiley Blackwell.
- Suggs, L.S., Rangelov, N., Rangel Garcia, M., and Aguirre Sánchez, L. (2013). FAN – Famiglia, Attività fisica, Nutrizione: Ticino Switzerland’s campaign for healthy weight. In: Hastings G, Domegan C, (eds.) Social marketing, from tunes to symphonies. Routledge, UK
- Suggs, L.S. and Ratzan, S.C. (2012). Global e-health communication. In: The Handbook of Global Health Communication. First Edition. Waisbord, S. and Obregon, R. (Eds). Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 978-1-4443-3862-1
Peer-reviewed journal articles
Aya Pastrana, N., Beran, D., Somerville, C., Heller, O., Correia, J.C., Suggs, L.S. (2020, forthcoming). The process of building the priority of neglected tropical diseases: A global policy analysis. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
Aya Pastrana N, Lazo-Porras M, Miranda JJ, Beran D, Suggs LS (2020). Social marketing interventions for the prevention and control of neglected tropical diseases: A systematic review. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 14(6): e0008360. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0008360
Lazo-Porras, M. Perez-Leon Quinoso, S., Cardenas, M.K., Pesantes, M.A., Miranda, J.J., Suggs, L.S., Chappuis, F., Perel, P., Beran, D. (2020). Lessons learned about co-creation: Developing a complex intervention in rural Peru. Global Health Action.
- Aya Pastrana, N., Somerville, C, and Suggs, L.S. (2020). The gender responsiveness of social marketing interventions focused on neglected tropical disease. Global Health Action.13:1, DOI: 1080/16549716.2019.1711335
- Attwell K, Dube E, Gagneur A, Omer SB, Suggs LS, Thomson A. (2019). Vaccine acceptance: Science, policy, and practice in a ‘post-fact’ world. Vaccine.;37(5):677-82. DOI: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2018.12.014. PMID:30616955.
- Bringolf-Isler B, Schindler C, de Hoogh K, Kayser B, Suggs LS, Dossegger A, Probst-Hensch N. (2019). Association of objectively measured and perceived environment with accelerometer-based physical activity and cycling: A swiss population-based cross-sectional study of children. International Journal of Public Health. 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s00038-019-01206-3. PMID:30701279.
- Pesantes, M.A.; Somerville, C., Singh, S.B., Perez-Leon, S., Madede, T., Suggs, S. & Beran, D. (2019): Disruption, changes, and adaptation: Experiences with chronic conditions in Mozambique, Nepal and Peru, Global Public Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2019.1668453
- Borden, D. S., & Suggs, L. S. (2019). Strategically Leveraging Humor in Social Marketing Campaigns. Social Marketing Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524500419854068
- Olivia Heller, Claire Somerville, L Suzanne Suggs, Sarah Lachat, Julianne Piper, Nathaly Aya Pastrana, Jorge C Correia, J Jaime Miranda, David Beran, (2019). The process of prioritization of non-communicable diseases in the global health policy arena, Health Policy and Planning, Volume 34, Issue 5, June 2019, Pages 370–383 https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czz043
- Dietrich, L.; Notter, J.; Huber, B.; Wallnöfer, A.; Huang, D.; Zeller, A.; Deml, M.J.; Pfeiffer, C.; Suggs, L.S.; Jafflin, K.; Fiorini-Bernasconi, C.; Quach, A.; Mäusezahl, M.; Spaar, A.; Lopetrone, F.; Lang, P.; Sinniger, P.; Navarria, I.; Yaron, M.; Itin, P.; Popp, K.A.; Bertisch, B.; Plattner, T.; Berger, C.; Frey Tirri, B.; Tarr, P. (2019). “Human Papilloma Virus Impfung: Update 2018 für die Praxis.” (English translation: Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine: Update 2018 for practice.” Swiss Medical FORUM. https://medicalforum.ch/de/article/doi/smf.2019.08064/
- Ohlrogge AW, Suggs LS. (2018).Flu vaccination communication in europe: What does the government communicate and how? Vaccine. 2018;36(44):6512-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.vaccine..04.042. PMID:29703556.
- Bringolf-Isler, B., De Hoogh, K., Schindler, C., Kayser, B., Suggs, L.S., Dössegger, and Probst-Hensch, N. (2018). Sedentary Behaviour in Swiss Children and Adolescents: Disentangling Associations with the Perceived and Objectively Measured Environment. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 15(5), 918; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15050918
- Perez-Leon, S.; Pesantes, M.A.; Aya Pastrana, N.; Raman, S.; Miranda, J.; Suggs, L.S.Food Perceptions and Dietary Changes for Chronic Condition Management in Rural Peru: Insights for Health Promotion. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1563.
- Bringolf-Isler, B., Schindler, C., Kayser, B., Suggs, L.S., Lamprecht, M., and Probst-Hensch, N. (2018). Objectively measured physical activity in population-representative parent-child pairs: parental modelling matters and is context-specific. BMC Public Health. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5949-9.
- Lagomarsino M. and Suggs, L.S. (2018). Choosing imagery in advertising healthy food to children. Are cartoons the most effective visual strategy? Journal of Advertising Research. DOI: 10.2501/JAR-2018-003
- Rangelov, N., Della Bella, S., Marques-Vidal, P., and Suggs, L.S. (2018). Does additional support provided through e-mail or SMS in a Web-based Social Marketing program improve children’s food consumption? A Randomized Controlled Trial. Nutrition Journal.17:24 Doi: 10.1186/s12937-018-0334-1
- Gubelmann, C., Marques-Vidal, P., Bringolf-Isler, B., Suggs, L.S., Vollenweider, P., and Kayser, B. (2018). Correlates of weekday compliance to physical activity recommendations in Swiss youth non-compliant in weekend days. Preventive Medicine Reports.9: 86-91. doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2017.12.004
- Suggs, L.S., Della Bella, S., Rangelov, N., and Marque-Vidal, P. (2018). Is it better at home with my family? The effects of people and place on children’s eating behavior. 121: 111e118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2017.11.002.
- Beran, Lazo-Porras M., Cardenas M.K., François Chappuis F., Damasceno A., Jha N., MadedeT., Lachat S., Perez Leon S., Aya Pastrana N., Pesantes M.A., Singh S.B., Sharma S., Somerville, C., Suggs, L.S., Miranda J.J. on behalf of the COHESION Team. (2018). Moving from formative research to co-creation of interventions: insights from a community health system project in Mozambique, Nepal and Peru. BMJ Global Health; 3:e001183. https://gh.bmj.com/content/3/6/e001183
- Van Hemelrijck, W., Suggs, L.S., Grossi, A.A., Schröder-Bäck, P., and Czabanowska, K. (2017). Breast Cancer Screening and Migrants: Exploring Targeted Messages for Moroccan Migrant Women in Brussels. Ethnicity & Health. Doi: 10.1080/13557858.2017.1390550
- Rangelov, N., Suggs, L.S., Occa, A., Radchuk, O., and Schmeil, A. (2017). Online Games to Improve Children’s Knowledge of Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines – A Pilot Study. Global Journal of Health Science; 9(4): 134-141. doi: https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v9n4p134
- Blake, H.; Suggs, L.S.; Coman, E.; Aguirre, L.; and Batt, M.E. (2017). Active8! Technology-Based Intervention to Promote Physical Activity in Hospital Employees. American Journal of Health Promotion. 31(2):109-118. doi: 10.4278/ajhp.140415-QUAN-143
- Rangelov, N., Suggs, L.S., and Marque-Vidal (2016). I did eat my vegetables. Agreement between parent and child food intake diaries. Public Health Nutrition. 19(17): 3106-3113.
- Suggs, L.S., Della Bella, S., and Marque-Vidal, P. (2016). Low adherence of Swiss children to national dietary guidelines. Preventive Medicine Reports. Vol. 3: pp.244–249. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2016.03.004
- Evans, C., Turner, K., Suggs, L.S., Occa, A., Juma, A., and Blake, H. (2016). Developing a mHealth intervention to promote uptake of HIV testing among African communities in the UK: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-3278-4
- Occa A, Suggs LS. (2016). Communicating breast cancer screening with young women: An experimental test of didactic and narrative messages using video and infographics. Journal of health communication.;21(1):1-11. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2015.1018611. PMID:26147625.
- Wettstein, D. and Suggs, L.S. (2016) “Is it social marketing? The benchmarks meet the social marketing indicator”, Journal of Social Marketing. 6(1): 2-17.
- Rangelov, N. and Suggs, L.S. (2015). Using strategic social marketing to promote healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors to parents and children in Switzerland: the development of FAN. Cases in Public Health Communication & Marketing. Volume 8.
- Evans C., Turner K., Blake H., Juma A., Suggs L.S., and Occa A., (2015). Text messaging to encourage uptake of HIV testing amongst African communities: Findings from a theory based feasibility study, HIV Medicine, 16(Suppl. 2), p. 54.
- Fast I, Sorensen K, Brand H, Suggs LS. Social media for public health: An exploratory policy analysis. European Journal of Public Health. 2015;25(1):162-6. DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/cku080. PMID:24942532.
- Moretti R, Cremaschini M, Brembilla G, Fenili F, Gambirasio MN, Valoti M, Bardus, M. Suggs, L.S., and Barbagio, G. (2015). Is Facebook Effective in Preventing HIV/STDs in Scholarized Adolescents? A Cluster Rct. Austin Journal of HIV/AIDS Research. 2(2): 1016.